Alaska Hasn't Killed Me Yet

in the air

ITINERARY

May 30

9:30am: Goodbye, Moscow
11am: Fly out from Pullman airport
1pm: Land in Seattle airport
7pm: Alaska bound!
8pm: Short stop in Ketchikan, Alaska
8:45pm: Last leg to Juneau
9:30pm: Touch down for the day!




May 31
6am: Awake
6:30am: Catch ride to ferry docks
8:30am: Off to Haines!
11am: Arrive in Haines, Alaska



Notes on travel: 
Bring more food. Dorito crumbs, Biscoff cookies, and ginger ale insufficient (Mrs. M generously shared some of the snacks she had the foresight to bring.)

THE FERRY

I practically jumped out of bed this morning. So much to look forward to - primarily THE HOTEL WAFFLE MAKER. Had to elbow an elderly fisherman out of the way, but I got my waffle, dangnabbit. The talk in the breakfast lounge was startlingly personal. A couple weathered old sailors discussed the ferry to Haines. A man breakfasting with his wife took a chance on a small world and big miracles, directing a question to the entire room: "Is anyone going to a wedding this weekend?" As it happens, my companions and I ARE going to that wedding. Guess it's a small world after all.

my travel companions, Sasha and Nik, and I aboard the ferry
the view!!

While we stood waiting for the ferry, I asked a friend of the M's how she ended up in Alaska. It's a long story, she said, but she told it anyway. I always marvel at how God works in other people's lives. Even better when they recognize His guidance themselves.

fun fact: Turns out Moscow Mountain is a lying lump of dirt and isn't a mountain at all. Look at these peaks!

travel tip: always travel with people you can have a good debate with -logical fallacies flying- and come out of it getting along just as dandy as ever. Also, travel with people who have exciting stories of themselves almost dying along the same route you are taking. Cultivates a healthy perspective on life.

geography trivia: we came down Lynn Canal - my mother's name and my middle name. 

THE HOMESTEAD

The M's home is utterly charming. (I'm obliged to say this because I unwittingly insulted it before I even saw it - but it also is objectively lovely, though unconventional, so there.)

exploring the grounds with Belle
fun fact: they have 2 pets - a dog and a cat (the perfect American family). I've hardly seen the cat, though I've heard Ollie is a heartbreaker in this community. Belle went with me to the beach, toting a frisbee in her droolly maw. I'd like to think she came every time I called because I have a certain "calm assertive" quality to my voice (as Cesar Milan would say) but instead I have to give the credit to people who know how to train a dog up in the way that she should go.

HAINES: THE LEGEND

Shortly after arrival, I was graciously welcomed to a bridal shower for a woman I've never met. side note: there's something distinct about women that are getting married. I think it's a sort of calm assertiveness...

After that, Sasha and Victoria were my tour guides around the docks. I learned things about salmon. If you will have a moment of patience, let my recite my catechism.

THINGS I LEARNED ABOUT SALMON

There are five kinds of salmon, each with a common name and native name. You can remember them by counting one for each finger - {I'm using the mnemonic devices I was given)

1. Common name: Dog Salmon. 
Native name: Chum (rhymes with thumb). Also, Keeta (but only when they are being packaged)

2. Common name: Red Salmon. 
Native name: Sockeye (corresponds with the index finger because that's the finger you use to poke people's eyes).
3. Common name: King Salmon (the middle finger is the tallest... assumably like a king.) 
Native name: Chinook. 

4. Common name: Silver Salmon(like a silver ring because now we're at the ring finger). 
Native name: Coho (because people used to get married but now they just 'coh-abitate')

5. Common name: Pink Salmon (obviously corresponds with the pinky finger), or Humpie (because after they get "spawned out" their spine deforms and they get horrendously ugly)
Native name: unknown



another fun fact:
Sasha is standing by a post which measures the tide, which cycles about every 8 hours

random: the bench actually says "You're a coffee that's hot all day" (which I found terribly amusing, but uncomfily flirty for a platonic audience, so I decided to let the world know that "You're a coffee." 

-Ruth


Comments

  1. Hey! I didn’t know you had a blog! I’m in love!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same as Eliza!! Very exciting!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts