Flunk

November 7 through the 14th was Mom's week of freedom and my week of slavery.

Alright, it wasn't that bad. All I did was cook all the meals for the week. Nothin' special. It was for my Family & Consumer Science class and I had to make my own menu for a week, shop for it (my mom did that) and then make all the meals. So the first Sunday I made barbecued ribs for lunch and it was great. I did not know what was coming.
That night, I was going to make something new, something we'd never tried before. Brilliant, Ruth, brilliant. I made flapjacks. The picture on the recipe looked so good though, that I had to try it. Once I'd mixed it all together, there seemed something rather strange about it. It looked like oats drowning in butter. Mom and I scratched our heads about it for a while before deciding to just put it in the oven and see how it turned out. I figured whoever made the recipe must know what they were doing.
Apparently they didn't. The flapjacks turned out less like little oaty pancakes than like granola, so I crumbled it up and ate some on yogurt. It was great! But then we got to the bottom of the bowl... I like to call it the Community Oat Swimming Pool. It was worse when all that butter started to solidify. Imagine taking a fourth cup softened butter and mixing about five oats in it.
We fed the rest happily to the trash.

Unfortunately I took no pictures of the flapjacks, but I did take pictures of most the other meals I made. I'll post them later.

Phooey on a brown Christmas! 8 days until Christmas and it finally snowed after that big meltdown we had! Now it is Christmas season.

Comments

  1. Oh making all meals for a week sounds fun to me!! :) lol I wish my family would let me do that... but one can hardly blame them for not wanting to starve all week..... lol :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. *laugh* You should try it :) It was fun, even though I didn't get all my school work done in time...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those flapjacks were strange, but made for a great family memory! You should have mentioned that beautiful lemon meringue pie you made! All the other food was wonderful and I especially appreciated your week of "servitude."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you liked the pie, despite it's unashamed emotional-ness (it cried like a baby).
    Sure, sure, you call it 'servitude'. You're just denying the truth! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts