Quick Update

(Update to this post.)

When I said I was going to "try it for a week," I wasn't thinking about the fact that you can't try out steps towards becoming an author for a week. That kind of thing has to be observed over a long period of time. D'oh, Ruth.

However, I haven't been completely wasting my time. I'm writing a short story for school, and have been utilizing a lot of my own advice during that. I don't listen to any music while I'm writing (step 3) and have been actively trying to shut down my inner editor as I write (step 4). After all, I can always go back and edit later. Also, I'm trying to get into the habit of praying before I write (step 2). So far my short story is going swimmingly! So to speak.

I recently started the book Writing With Power by Peter Elbow (step 10). He gives a lot of ways to get writing down on paper and different techniques for editing. As a fiction writer, it's not exactly what I was looking for - it would be more helpful to a full-time blogger, non-fiction writer, or student. (I am only the latter.) Despite that, there's a lot of good stuff in there that anyone can benefit from.

More delish lists and preppy steps coming soon!

12/3/13 EDIT: Yeah no. I'm a loser.

Comments

Popular Posts