Delusions of Grandeur

I've always thought that with enough observance of others, I could be the best. I always know what people should have done when they botch up. It's a gift. Experience isn't needed for people like me. Our motto is a quote from a great emperor: I came, I saw, I conquered. I could probably master anything I put my mind to. Because I'm like that. I'm a Renaissance gal. I probably have Da Vinci blood in me. 


There's one catch to being as adaptable as I am. Most of us are born with it and few overcome it (though the ones that do usually go onto greatness).  It's this little thing called 'procrastination.' The dictionary definition is 'the act of putting off or delaying.' It inhibits our natural ability to master whatever talent or art we desire to be the best at. Procrastination is crafty in that it doesn't take away our natural abilities. No, it's our kryptonite because it zaps the motivation to complete our high goals. One day we're completely committed to perfecting the art of fencing, and the next, we're on the couch watching a TV special about it and feeling pretty good about doing at least that much. Our nirvana is mastering the art of overcoming procrastination. This level of greatness is only reached by a faithful few who work at it their entire lives. These gurus are called 'The Greats,' and even I cannot claim that title.

Comments? Critiques? Where do you think I should go from here?
~Ruth

Comments

  1. I like this so far! I would put a colon after the word "greatness" and start the next sentence as a continuation without a capital letter. Also, at the end you say, "and even I can't claim that title," which implies that you are not far from that level of greatness. Was that what you meant? I love the concept of a group of "Da Vinci's" - very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your critique Mom! I'm confused as to which 'greatness' you are talking about when you said 'put a colon after the word "greatness"'. And also, the narrator of this post isn't me (but maybe I sound that conceited anyway).

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a snappy piece of writing! It made me want to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry - I knew it wasn't you writing. I meant the greatness in parentheses at the beginning of the paragraph. Like Dad, this made me want to read more, always the mark of good writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dad- Thanks! I'm not sure where to go with it though.
    Mom- Oh I see now. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts